Skip to content
Treatment of osteoarthritis in the knee or in the hip, step by step
- Make sure that you are as active as you can be.
- Do physical exercise recommended by a doctor, or a physical therapist.
- Go for conservative treatments, if necessary (physical therapy, hydrotherapy, etc.).
- If you are overweight, try to reduce your weight.
- Use a cane, a crutch or other means to help you in movement.
- Take medication to relieve the pain, as recommended by your physician.
- Try injections of steroids, and/or hyaluronic acid, as recommended by your physician.
- Surgery – replace the damaged joint by an artificial joint.
- Contact your physician in any event of pain that does not react to treatment, redness, swelling, heat, discharge.