Dr. Yaron Bar Ziv is an expert orthopedic surgeon, and amongst the leading practitioners, in Israel, of knee and hip replacement surgery. He is deputy director of Orthopedic Ward A, and head of the Joint Replacement Service at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center.
The joint replacement unit at Assaf HaRofeh, is considered the foremost of its kind in Israel, and is recognized as a national center of excellence, and is one of few in Israel that receive orthopedic surgeons from abroad for advanced study.
Dr. Bar Ziv specialized in the anterior approach hip replacement with Dr. Kristoff Corten, who is considered one of the leading surgeons in the world in this field, and since 2012 Dr. Bar Ziv has only been using this approach when operated on hips.
Dr. Bar Ziv has the professional experience of hundreds of hip surgeries using the anterior approach, in public and private hospitals in Israel.
In addition, Dr. Bar Ziv has a wealth of experience in repeat operations on the knee and hip, which are considered extremely complex surgeries in the field of joint replacement. He belongs to a group of international experts who teach courses and give instruction, in knee replacement throughout the world.
certificates and qualifications
Personal and family background
Dr. Bar Ziv, aged 52, lives in Rishon LeZion. He is married with five children.
He served in the I.D.F. for five years as a naval commando. Afterwards, he studied medicine at Be’er Sheva medical school.
In 1995, he began his specialization at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center, under Professor Nahum Halperin, until 2001.
Since then, he has dealt mainly in hip and knee replacements.
- 1987 – 1990 Bachelor’s degree in pre-clinical studies at the Ben Gurion University of the Negev.
- 1990 – 1993 Graduate of the medical school at the Ben Gurion University of the Negev.
- 1993 – 1994 Internship in medicine, at the Sharon hospital in Petah Tikvah.
- 1995 – 2002 Specialization in orthopedics at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center.
Licenses and Appointments
- 1995 License to practice medicine
- 2002 Specialist license in orthopedic surgery
- 2006 Director of the joint replacement service at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center
- 2007 Deputy director of the orthopedic ward at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center
- 2010 Director of the orthopedic ward at Beilinson Hospital
- 2011 Deputy director of the orthopedic ward at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center
- 2015 Official appointment as director of the joint replacement service at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center
- 2015 Senior lecturer in the Faculty of Medicine in the Tel Aviv University
- 1988 – 1990 Trainer of medical students in the pharmacology course
- 1990 – 1991 High school teacher of anatomy anf physiology
- 1998 Tutor to students on the orthopedic ward
- 2001 Tutor in an orthopedic trauma (AO) course
- 2008 Director of an international course in “repeat knee replacements”, in
- 2009 International course in orthopedics in Poland
- Member of the organizing committee of the orthopedic medicine course, at the Rheumatic Institute, Warsaw, Poland
- 2010 Center of excellence, and international visitors’ center for knee
replacement surgery at Assaf HaRofeh Medical Center
Membership in professional associations
- 1995 Member of the Israel Medical Association
- 2005 Member of the Israel Orthopaedic Association
- 2009 – 2012 Member of the scientific committee of the Society for “The replacement
of hip and knee joints”, a subsidiary society of the Israel Medical
- 2010 Advisory committee to Depuy, a Johson and Johnson company, on knee